Learning from the past…? 24 Lessons from 21yo me
It’s been a lonnng time. One day, I’ll figure this whole timing thing out and write while I’m immensely busy. While packing up my apartment a couple days ago, I came across a list of 24 “life lessons” that I wrote in my journal when I was 21. So I figured I’d share them with you. It’s interesting for me to look at them, because a few directly pertained to things I was going through at the time but had forgotten about. Most are kind of still applicable to me today. Enjoy!
- Just because someone’s genetically related to you doesn’t mean they are always looking out for your best interests. Some family members may try to hurt you, accept it and move on.
- People don’t change, they grow. Some grow into better people, some into worse. Either way it’s growth.
- True friends will inspire you to be better than what you are.
- Complacency will get you nowhere, so will running away from your problems.
- People who wish they were in your position will subconsciously and consciously try to bring you down to their level.
- Never settle for anything less than what you want. If you can’t get what you want, then work hard and persevere until you can.
- Never forget number 4.
- Forgive those who betray you, life’s too short and priceless to hold grudges.
- Never let anyone tell you that you can’t do something, unless they have a logical reason.
- You will spend your entire life with yourself so protect your best interests.
- Everyone goes through things, but not everyone talks about it when they do.
- No material possession is worth your life. Go back and read this again.
- Someone will always be financially worse/better off than you so don’t worry about other people’s finances unless you’re trying to help those who are worse off.
- Surround yourself with people who make you smile and laugh.
- One good friend beats ten associates any day.
- Always return phone calls (texts, emails, letters) even if it seems pointless to you. The sender may be having a horrible day and want news from you so they can make it through the day.
- Make your life more valuable than your attire.
- Surround yourself with people who will pick you up when you fall and hold you up until you’re ready to stand again (figuratively and literally).
- Conflict is a necessary part of relationships, deal with it as soon as it occurs because time can ruin your relationships.
- You can only help someone grow into a better person when they realize that the person they are today isn’t someone they should be tomorrow.
- Don’t hold onto people who deliberately try to hurt you, go read #10.
- Your friends are a reflection of you, so surround yourself with positive people.
- Take chances. The worst that can happen is you won’t win or get whatever you were aiming for, but if you never took the chance you wouldn’t have won it either.
- Think about the consequences of your actions, you have a conscience for a reason. Negative acts lead to negative consequences, just because it doesn’t happen today doesn’t mean it won’t come back to you tomorrow.
P.S. I’m challenging myself to one post a week for the remainder of summer 🙂
P.P.S. I despise the new posting format for WordPress…
This work by bellereveur.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.